Saint Louis Art Museum is home to one of the most comprehensive art collections in the US and is located in the city’s recently restored Forest Park. The original and main building designed by Cass Gilbert was built as one of the exhibition pavilions for the St. Louis World’s Fair, held in 1904. Five years later it became the new home for the city’s art collection and was renamed the City Art Museum. The first significant extension was added in the 1950s to house an auditorium, and in 1972 the museum was rechristened the Saint Louis Art Museum. Further space was added in 1980 for administrative purposes, with an underground conservation department following in 1985. Several renovations to the wings and central hall of the Cass Gilbert building were undertaken around this time. Significant growth in the collection over recent years, combined with the ever-growing size of contemporary artworks and the need for increased parking provision below ground as part of the park’s restoration, led to a major new commission to improve the museum.